Friday, August 5, 2011

Hospital Nostalgia?

So.
The two hospitals which have served as "our" hospitals for the past 18 years had merged a couple of years ago...And then a brand-spankin'-new medical center was built from the ground up...With state of the art EVERYTHING....And a list of benefits and qualities so amazing that it makes everyone who hears a description of the place want to go to the hospital for a nice long stay!!! It sounds more like a 5 star hotel than a hospital...the only thing they lack is a jacuzzi in every room!

And today was the big day. My husband, who works at that Medical Center, moved his department and office to the new building about two weeks ago. But TODAY a super-sized fleet of ambulances descended upon the two towns housing the old hospitals...and carried away every single patient from each place and deposited them safely in the new building. The first baby was born in the new hospital this morning at 10:40 AM....! I'll bet that mama got the royal treatment!

So I just got an email from my husband that both hospitals are now officially closed.

Sigh.

I spent so much time in those two buildings. Had my butt yanked back from the hungry jaws of death so many times there....Struggled to breathe. Yelled in pain....and had such good friends in the staff. The staff will remain...in the new building; but I'm sure the staffing assignments will get shifted around a bit, so that even if I return...the staff may not be the same ones who cared for me before.

I really thought I would die in one of those two buildings.

But nope. I outlived both of them.

Wonders will never cease.

In October I will probably have my shoulder replaced in the new medical center. It will be so interesting to see it. And I'll bet the OR doesn't look like a storage area either!

My husband too is a bit sad. His whole work history (any of consequence anyway) was spent in that building. Now we move on, to make new memories.

And how weird is it for a couple to feel saddened and nostalgic about a HOSPITAL closing???
...............Well, you know me: "Weird" doesn't even begin to describe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, even to scold me, (if you must) Just PLEASE try to be kind! Anyone can comment, even those without accounts. Just select the "anonymous" tab and if you want, identify yourself in the body of your comment.